There are a few ways that you can adjust your dress. Just read this guide on how to make a dress longer. You can have it hemmed or you can add fabric to the bottom of the dress. If you have a little bit of sewing experience, you could also try adding a skirt to the dress. Whichever method you choose, be sure to have it done properly.
How To Make Your Dress Longer Using Lace
There are many ways to make a dress look longer, and adding lace is one of them. Here are three simple steps to follow:
1. Decide where you want to add the lace. This could be at the bottom of the dress, around the waist, or on the top of the dress.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
2. Cut a piece of lace that is slightly longer than the area you want to cover.
3. Sew the lace onto the dress using a needle and thread. Make sure to sew it in place securely so it does not move around.
If you want to add lace to the bottom of your dress, it’s important to make sure that the hem is even before you start sewing. You can do this by folding the fabric of the dress under and sewing it in place. This will create a neat and polished look.
Adding lace to your dress is a simple way to make it look longer and more elegant. Try it out for yourself and see how you like the results.
How To Make Your Dress Longer With The Same Color Fabric
If you have a dress that is too short, you can easily make it longer by adding fabric to the bottom. This is a simple DIY project that anyone can do, and it only takes a few minutes.
Here’s what you need:
- A dress
- Fabric that is the same color as your dress
- Tape measure
- Sewing machine (optional)
First, measure the length of your dress. Cut a piece of fabric that is the same length as your dress. Pin the fabric to the bottom of your dress, making sure it is evenly spaced. Sew the fabric to the dress, or use a hot glue gun if you don’t have a sewing machine. Voila! Your dress is now longer.
How To Make A Dress Longer Using The Existing Hem
If your dress is a little too short, you can make it longer by taking advantage of the existing hem. This is a simple and easy way to add a few inches to the length of your dress without having to get it altered by a professional. Here’s how to do it:
1. Put on the dress and have someone mark where the bottom of the dress falls on your body.
2. Take off the dress and lay it flat on a surface.
3. Measure down from the mark that was made on your body to the existing hemline. This will give you the measurement for how much you need to add to the length of your dress.
4. Add this measurement to the bottom of your dress.
5. Pin the new fabric in place and sew it on.
6. Hem the bottom of your dress using a hemming tape or iron-on hemming strip.
7. Voila! You’ve added some extra length to your dress without having to go through the hassle of getting it altered.
If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, you can always take your dress to a seamstress and have them do it for you. But if you’re handy with a needle and thread, this is a simple project that you can easily do at home. Enjoy your newly lengthened dress!
How To Increase The Length Of Your Dress With Lining
This is a simple sewing project that anyone can do, and it will only take a few minutes.
Here’s what you need:
- Measuring tape
- Dressmaker’s chalk or a pencil
- Lining fabric (you’ll need enough to go around the bottom of your dress plus about 4 inches)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
Step 1: Measure the length of your dress. Add 2 inches to this measurement. This is the length you will need for your lining fabric.
Step 2: Cut a piece of lining fabric that is the length you just measured.
Step 3: Pin the lining fabric to the bottom of your dress, right sides together. Make sure the fabric is evenly distributed around the entire dress.
Step 4: Sew around the edge of the lining fabric, using a sewing machine or needle and thread. Be sure to leave a small opening so you can turn the lining inside out.
Step 5: Turn the lining inside out. Use a pointy object like a pen or pencil to push out all of the corners. Sew up the opening in the lining.
And that’s it! You’ve now added lining to your dress, making it longer and more flattering. Enjoy your new look!
Use A Slip Extender
A slip extender is simply a piece of fabric that is attached to the bottom of a dress. It can be made from any type of fabric, but it is usually best to choose something that matches the color and style of the dress. The extender should be long enough to cover the entire dress hem.
Once you have chosen your fabric, cut it into a strip that is at least 2 inches wide. Then, fold the fabric in half and sew a seam down the middle. This will create a narrow tube of fabric that can be attached to the dress hem.
If you are not comfortable sewing, you can also use a safety pin to attach the extender to the dress. Simply insert the safety pin through both layers of fabric at the edge of the dress hem, and then clip it onto the bottom of the slip extender.
No matter how you attach it, make sure that the extender is evenly distributed around the hem of the dress. You don’t want one side to be longer than the other!
Now, enjoy your new length!
Useful Tips On How To Make A Dress Longer
It can be a challenge to make a dress look longer, but with the right tips, it can be done. Here are five useful tips on how to make a dress look longer:
1. Choose dresses that are the right length for your body type. A knee-length dress is going to look much shorter on someone tall than someone short.
2. Wear high heels. Wearing high heels will help to elongate your body and make your dress look longer.
3. Wear skirts that are flared or have a lot of volumes. This will help to create the illusion of length.
4. Add some accessories such as a belt or scarf. This will help to break up the line of the dress and make it look longer.
5. Wear a flowing fabric. A lightweight fabric such as chiffon will help to create the illusion of length.
With these tips, you can make any dress look longer and more flattering on your body. Experiment with different styles and find what works best for you. And most importantly, have fun with it!