Ello, folks! I hope that you are all well and safe during this crazy time. Today I wanted to share with you a way that you can make an amazing cake with items you most likely have in your pantry. The depression cake is super popular right now and tastes so good!
This cake is called the depression cake because, well, it was very popular during the depression in America. Due to it’s limited ingredients I think this will become popular again as people are staying away from stores. Not to mention this is so tasty and addictive.
Below you will find a full recipe and I know you will love the simplicity of this recipe as much as I do.
I do hope that you enjoy and make sure to check out our other recipes. Happy baking 🙂Print
Easy to make and so good! This Vanilla Depression Cake is perfect for those looking to fight that sweet tooth with limited ingredients.
For The Cake Itself:
- 1 ½ C Flour
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- 1 C water
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 – 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- Cream Cheese Frosting directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×9 square glass baking dish
- Using a large bowl, mix until combined the flour, sugar, baking soda
and salt until combined
- Make 3 impressions into the dry ingredients
- Pour the vanilla, oil, and vinegar into one each of the holes
- Pour the water over all ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour batter into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes
- Once done, allow to cool completely
For The Icing
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until combined
- Spread onto the cooled cake
The opinions expressed here are that of Hello Betty only. While the products in this post were given complimentary for posting purposes, that does not alter our opinion of the product mentioned. Some posts may contain affiliate links. If you have any questions email email@example.com