If you want to do something different, it might be time for the taste of India. In many other countries around the world, curry is such a popular dish but it seems to be one of those things that can still seem an acquired taste.
But let’s truly get you into the swing of things with this simple chicken curry recipe.
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- ½ sweet onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounces) can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 pound of cooked and chopped chicken
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- Drizzle the oil into a pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion.
- Cook the onion in the oil until it looks translucent, which will take around 5 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat and allow it to cool slightly, which will take about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and ground chili to the pan, making sure that it is thoroughly mixed in with the onion and stir over a low heat.
- Pour the tomatoes and the coconut milk into the skillet; any remaining residue in the tins you can rinse with some water and add to the pan.
- Season the mixture with kosher salt and simmer the mixture, stirring it occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cilantro into the sauce mixture.
- Cook the entire mixture for another minute before serving.
As you can see, this is incredibly straightforward and very tasty. Curry is one of those diverse dishes that you can use as an accompaniment or as a sort of buffet. Traditionally Indian style thali dishes have numerous types of curries. And if you want to start getting adventurous you can make various rice dishes that go as a perfect accompaniment.
Indian cuisine is such a diverse food that if you really like your spice it soon becomes a part of your staple diet.
One of the great things about curries is that they are not just meat, some sauce, and rice, but there are other accompaniments like onion bhajis, saag aloo (which is a spinach and potatoes dish), as well as various types of chutneys.
You can purchase mango chutney and tomato chutneys but you can very easily make your own. There is a tomato chutney recipe here you can try out.
The great thing about curries is that they can be as spicy or as mild as you want them. And if you are pleased with your efforts you can start to dive into the big wide world of Indian flavors.
Not everybody likes the spice but curry is certainly a great way to throw as many different ingredients as possible into the mix.
You can add in chopped vegetables, pulses, and anything you want to make the dish as healthy and as rich as possible. Enjoy!