- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 small onion (coarsely grated)
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 bottle (12 oz. pale ale)
- 4 oz. cream cheese (at room temp)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese (coarsely grated)
- Melt butter in large saucepan on medium, then add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour on top and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, then beer, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until melted and smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add Cheddar in 3 additions, stirring each addition until melted before adding the next. Serve warm with pretzels and apples, if desired.