As the days start getting hotter and longer, I find myself looking for simple, light recipes to share with my family. A salad is one of the easiesmeals you can serve, but at times is just boring. You have your lettuce and veggies, maybe a protein, but nothing really to give your salad that wow factor. I have to have croutons on my salad, no if’s about that one, but even then I am usually stuck with plain Jane croutons or cheese croutons. Today I would like to share with you a great recipe to make a fab salad using Pretzel Bread Croutons from J&D’s Foods and a homemade Italian dressing.
J&D’s Pretzel Bread Croutons, which starts with artisan German pretzel bread which is then sliced and baked into a bite-sized, perfectly crunchy gourmet crouton. Put them on your salad. Eat them as a snack. Use them as a stuffing (seriously good). Or float them on a soup. They really are savory little bites from heaven.
J&D’s Foods has a unique lineup of different croutons to add to any dish, not only salads, but soups and casseroles. My husband is a HUGE fan of all things pretzel, so when I saw these, I knew I had to check them out. The moment they arrived in the mail, Mr. Bite, ripping the bag open. Sometimes he has such a boyish face. He looked at me like it was Christmas morning! He said, so these go on a salad? LOL. I said yes. “Please stop eating them, till I do my review.” Such a crazy man. Even if you’re not into pretzels they do offer a couple of different flavors to choose from, including their Bacon flavored crouton.
- J&D’s Tomato Basil Croutons – try them with your tomato soup
- J&D’s Pretzel Bread Croutons – a tasty snack or stuffing
- J&D’s Everything Croutons – just like an Everything bagel, with onions, garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and sea salt
I love everything about these taste little bites. I also used the Tomato Basil croutons in my tomato soup, instead of the crackers. AMAZING. I would have to say that both the Pretzel and Tomato Basil croutons that I received really did surprise me. They are both packed full of flavor and really can add something to a plain salad or meal. Either of these flavors would be perfect this summer when entertaining guests. Let them try out their own creation, by building a small salad bar featuring J&D’s Croutons. You can purchase J&D’s Croutons online and take a look at their other products to dazzle your family this summer. Also make sure to check out their amazing recipes!!!
Italian Dressing Recipe
For this salad I just used ingredients that my husband adores. Olives, Chick peas, cucumbers and a tiny bit of onion and tomato. I used a thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breast, for the added protein on the side. The star of this dish is the Pretzel Croutons. It really gave it a complete different flavor all together. This recipe is from a site online that I found a couple of months ago and darned it I can’t find it again.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Colavita or Lucini
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, best quality such as Pompeian Gourmet or Domaine des Vignes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a jar. Seal tightly with lid and shake vigorously to emulsify. Store dressing in refrigerator for up to a week. As the dressing sits, it will separate (and solidify in the fridge), so be sure to shake well before using.